Monday, January 26, 2009

A twist

Since we have been on this GF diet, I have not eaten much gluten. With a family of 5 I'm not about to make two separate meals. So we all eat what GF daughter eats. Last night we went to small group and for dessert I had some apple cobbler and a piece of a brownie. I immediately got a stomach ache and by the time I got home I had to make a visit to the bathroom. Is it coincidence? Or am I also gluten intolerant and did not realize it? I did not have symptoms like my daughter did. But I wouldn't be surprised, as I was pretty addicted to bread and bread products. The funny thing is that I really don't miss all the bread I ate. I guess when you make an effort to feed yourself other nutritious foods, the cravings go away. I'm just guessing here. One thing I have noticed is that I really think that we are eating healthier than we ever have. I think I will do this little experiment for myself and see what happens.

3 comments:

  1. What we learn about ourselves, because of our kids. Or what we learn about our kids, because we took something out of our diet. Hope your tummy feels better today.

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister decided to go gluten free to see if it made her feel any better and after only a week or so of being gluten free she accidentally ate some gluten and felt horrible!! Now every time she eats something with gluten she feels sick! We wondered if it was a coincidence or if she was really gluten intolerant? She tested negative for celiac three years ago but celiac can appear at any time so we sure wonder! Sometimes I think gluten just isn't good for anyone! but who knows!

    ps. I can't remember how I found you :-) I think I was just searching other gluten free bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is interesting, it is definitely a possibility. It does run in the family and everyone displays symptoms differently. My husband has celiac disease as well as his mom, sisters, brothers, maternal grandparents, uncles, cousins and an aunt.

    Some people say the blood test is not always accurate. And you must be consuming gluten to get accurate results. The only true way to know is to have a biopsy of your small intestine. A skin biopsy can be performed to determine if you have DH.

    If someone in your family is already diagnosed that should help. Some people see 8 or 9 doctors before they find a GI doctor that can properly diagnose them. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete