Friday, January 16, 2009

Pizza Dough

Tonight we picked up some Little Caesars Pizza for the mob of girls that came to the birthday party.

My challenge was what to do for pizza for the birthday girl. If you buy a premade mix of gluten free pizza flour it is very expensive. I probably should have done that though.

I ended up buying a freezer gluten free pizza crust (Natures Hilights). It was made with brown rice. Logic would tell me that this wasn't a good idea, but I did it anyway. I mean, who mixes brown rice with tomato sauce, cheese and pepperoni. Not a good combination.

Since I am so new to this gluten free experiment I am bound to flop quite a bit. I also decided to have a back up plan. It failed miserably. I had in the pantry Bob's Remill Gluten Free flour mix. I used that to follow a pizza crust recipe from a standard cookbook. I added the required amount of Zanthan Gum and yeast.

After I smeared pizza sauce all over it I decided to have a little nibble of the raw crust. Blech! It tasted stongly of raw beans. I gave it another chance though. I pulled another little piece off and stuck it in the toaster oven to cook. Still not good. I decided not to waste all the cheese and throw this crust in the trash.

The rice crust pizza really wasn't too bad. It was a bit chewy. Phi gave it a good go though, the brave girl. We ended up giving her a regular piece of pizza. After all, it is her birthday.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment