Thursday, January 29, 2009

Banana Muffins


I decided to try to make banana muffins today. I finally made up my flour mix using the recipe from GF Quick and Easy (Carol Fenster)

1 1/2 C Sorghum flour
1 1/2 C potato starch or cornstarch
1 C tapioca flour

I doubled this so I would have enough to bake a few things before replenishing the supply. I wanted to avoid any flour blend that used bean flour. I just don't like the smell or flavor of it.

I then used the Better Homes and Garden cookbook for the banana bread recipe. I used my GF blend and added 1 t of Xanthan gum. I still don't know what this does. I just see it in a lot of bread type recipes so I added it. Maybe someone can tell me??

Well, I was impressed with the way they turned out. They were light and soft. A little dry, but that is ok. The texture was really good. The girls were very satisfied with them.

2 comments:

  1. Good job! I don't like baking GF muffins, because most of my GF muffins don't turn out right, they end up doughy in the midddle. Maybe it is because I like blueberry muffins and it is just too much moisture in them .

    To answer your question about Xantham gum. When you get some on your hands and try to wash it off, it is very slimy and sticks to your skin. It holds things together like the gluten does in wheat flour. Like a glue. Think of it as a fake gluten. lol You can learn more about it at http://www.coeliac.org.uk/glutenfree_living/cooking/75.asp

    Sheri

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. The muffins look like the turned out really nice. I love that plate, it is very cute.

    ReplyDelete