Tuesday, January 20, 2009

corn bread

I tried the Blueberry dish that I posted and I really liked it. The girls liked it too, but hubby did not. It had nothing, whatsoever to do with the recipe, or me as a cook, but with the type of dish it was. He just doesn't eat egg casserole/dutch baby type dishes. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

We had my inlaws over for dinner tonight to celebrate my daughters 10th birthday. I made a beef soup and decided that I needed something else to go with it. I decided to try Corn Bread with what I had on hand. It was a bit of a riot and the fact that it turned out edible is astonishing.

Here is what I did:

I started out with looking in my GF cookbook and found an easy recipe. I did not have corn meal but Polenta so I used that instead. It also called for the quickbread flour mix that the author has a recipe for. I didn't have that either because I have not invested in the flour varieties. So I used what I had, which is rice flour. I saw that the flour mix has sugar and baking powder, but not until I had the batter in the pan, so I dumped it back into a bowl, added those two things in an estimated amount, then added more milk, because it looked a bit thick and dry. I dumped it back into the pan and cooked it. It was dense, and tasted more like polenta than a crumbly corn bread, but hey, it was edible and no one complained and it went great with the beef and vegetable soup.

I'm a bit of a risk taker when it comes to cooking. I guess you can say it's the extent of thrill seeking that I engage in. My husband laughes at me because I often will bring first time recipes to potlucks, and just hope and pray it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment