Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Oatmeal cookies

I made oatmeal cookies today.

If you can't tell by now I am quite the experimenter when it comes to cooking. I rarely follow a recipe exactly. I improvise a lot, adding in our preferred ingredients and omitting the ones we dislike. Except for making cakes, which I do exactly as the recipe calls for.

All that to say, I experimented again. I used the recipe from Better Homes and Gardens. I didn't have brown sugar so I used honey instead. I replaced the flour with GF flour blend. I added Xanthan Gum.

They taste great. Really, they do. However they did not flatten out like I hoped, staying in their little formed balls. They also have a very powdery texture. I don't think I will make them like this again. But I wrote down what I did so I can experiment in the future and maybe perfect them.

I'm such a rebel, not following the recipes in my GF cookbooks, thinking I can come up with something on my own. Silly I know, but sometimes the challenge of accomplishing something like this drives me.

Main cookbook I have by Carol Fenster looks like it has great recipes, but I haven't purchased enough of the flours to create the quantity of blend she calls for. Each of her recipes that uses flour has a portion of the blend and then some more ingredients to add to it. Right now, I just need to have a little on hand since we are still in the experiment stage.

If anybody is interested in how I made the cookies in detail, let me know and I will post it.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like flat cookies either. And that is why I like to use some been flour. (only 2 Tbsp in the 2 cup flour blend that I use). I guess that is a taste bud that adapts over time. But I have seen cookies with almond meal in them. I am assuming that the almond meal will keep them from flattening too much. Unfortunately, I don't know for sure, because I use pecans and peanuts instead of almonds or walnuts.

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete